Friday, February 09, 2007

Sex or Abstinence or Vaccines

I have had this post rolling around in my head for several months now. It started when the vaccine for the HPV came out. I must now remind you that HPV is a STD (sexual transmitted disease) and you can get it without having sex. Skin to skin contact is all that is needed. When the vaccine came out many schools were talking about mandating that it be given to girls as young as nine. I will add now that Texas has mandated it for girls before entering the sixth grade. Now back to the main point. I said that I don’t think that it should be mandated. I said that if abstinence was promoted more we would not need to be vaccinating people for the HPV. I was then told that I was stupid and naive if I thought that kids were going to abstain from sex. I was also told that we should not put that kind of pressure or expect that out of our kids. This came from church going and I think Christians. I recently walked in on two women talking about the HPV vaccine. The one woman was asking the other if she had told her (14 or 15 year old ) daughter about it. These were church going/Christian women. I wanted to say this is a STD she will not be getting it if she does not have sex or doing something with her clothes off. I kept my mouth shut this time and did not say anything because of the last time of being called stupid. But I don’t think I will be able to keep my mouth shut the next time.

1 Comments:

At 3/31/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hey i'm a mom, and if someone has something to help me with out with, I'm always willing to listen as long the person doesn't make ME feel stupid!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home